Landlords ask Sanwo-Olu to pay compensation for demolished houses
Some landlords in Igbogbo-Baiyeku area in Ikorodu, Lagos State, have again appealed to the state government to urgently pay them compensation, four years after their houses were demolished for road project.
Mr Ashela Adeboye, a representative of house owners affected by the demolition, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Wednesday that they were yet to receive any compensation over the exercise.
Adeboye said that their houses were demolished in December 2017 to pave way for the rehabilitation and expansion of roads in Ikorodu West and Igbogbo/Baiyeku Local Development Council Areas (LCDA).
The 70-year-old retiree said that they had written to the governor to request for payment of compensation to people whose houses were demolished in the area but nothing had been done.
“When Gov. Sanwo-Olu came to inaugurate the Ijede road, I was there and he told us that he had earmarked N500 million to be paid to us as compensation.
“When we got to the office to receive the cheque, I was told that my name is not on the list of people to be paid, I don’t know the reason because I have done all the needful and necessary documentation.
“My two houses were affected in the demolition; the storey building was completely demolished while the other was partially affected,” Adeboye said.
Another house owner, Mr Lewis Akinboboye, 75, appealed to the governor to come to their aid, adding that his demolished house was his only source of his income.
Akinboboye said that majority of the landlords had died while expecting compensation, while others had lost their loved ones after the demolition.
“I am an old man; you can imagine what I may be going through when all I laboured for have been destroyed.
“I use the rent to take care of myself but now it is no longer available and in the process, I suffered a partial stroke.
“As a listening governor, we learnt that some people have been paid but we are yet to receive ours,” he said.
Mr Agboola Ganiu also called on the state government to expedite action on the payment to give succour to the affected house owners in Igbe.
Ganiu said the house was his only source of income, adding that the demolition had put a stop to the academic pursuit of his children.
Mrs Emily Nwokeduko, whose house was also demolished at Igbogbo, said that only 31 house owners had received compensation in Igbogbo area and her house was not included.
She urged the state government to facilitate her compensation.
“We have become destitute due to the demolition of our houses.
“My property has gone, let them pay the compensation they promised us since four years ago, I don’t understand why someone in number 20 on the list will be paid before the first on the same list,” she said.