Mrs. Chidinma Iheme, The Managing Director of TRANEX holds a Bachelor of Laws (B.L.) Degree from the University of Lagos Akoka (1983).
She was called to the Nigeria Bar in 1984. She holds a Masters in Business Administration (MBA) from ESUT Business School, Lagos (1999). She is also an Alumnus of the Lagos Business School. (Advanced Management Program).
Her working experience has spanned across the public and private sectors. She worked variously at the Ministry of Justice Calabar, FSB International Bank Plc. Lagos, C. Uche & Co., a private law firm, and Clair Resources Ltd Lagos.
She is a fellow of the Institute of Directors Nigeria, as well as a professional member of the Nigerian Institute of Management. She has served as the Secretary to the Nigerian International Air Couriers Association (NIACA) and is currently the Honourable Treasurer of the Association.
She joined Trans-Nationwide Express Plc. (TRANEX) in 1998 as the Company Secretary/Legal Adviser and Head of Administration, from where she rose to the position of General Manager in January 2004. She was appointed the Managing Director/CEO in January 2005. Under her watch, the company has continued to post superior performance in all indices.
The Managing Director of Trans-Nationwide Express Plc (TRANEX), Mrs Chidinma Iheme gave useful insights into logistics business.
Please tell us about your organisation while highlighting your major services?
TRANEX, which is actually an acronym for TRANS-NATIONWIDE EXPRESS PLC is one of the foremost logistics companies in Nigeria. It is a Public Limited Company quoted on the Nigerian Stock Exchange, the first to be so listed on the Nigerian Stock Exchange,
The company has been in business since 1984 but then as a private company called TNT Express Worldwide holding the franchise and acting as the agent in Nigeria of TNT Express Worldwide, one of the major international logistics players at that time.
However, in 1992, the visionary directors/founders identified the need to expand its operations to other areas of the logistics business and the name of the company was then changed to Trans-Nationwide Express Plc.
After the severance of relationship with TNT in 2001 the company decided to enhance and grow its domestic business leveraging on the growth in the Banking, Communication, Pharmaceuticals and Manufacturing sectors, as well as the influx of foreign direct (FDI) investment into the country. To enable the success of this strategy, the company enhanced its branch network investing in the setting up of branches throughout the country and putting in place the necessary infrastructure for the effective and seamless execution of the business.
The international business continues to grow as we still partner with a major international brand to execute our international deliveries.
TRANEX has an authorised share capital of N250M and over 4,500 shareholders made up of corporate organisations and individuals.
What are the major services you offer
TRANEX’s range of services include-
– Express deliveries (domestic and international)
– Haulage. We have trucks ranging from 5tons to 30tons with tracking devise that haul goods for clients within Nigeria and the West African region.
– Warehousing and Inventory Management. We have secured warehouses all fitted with CCTV and other security gadgets for effective monitoring.
– Cold Chain logistics – we have IATA certified staff who are in charge of handling our cold chain shipment movements within and outside the country.
– Packing and Removals. We handle the packing movement, unpacking and arrangement for clients.
– E-commerce fulfilment. We handle the last leg of the e-commerce for our various e-commerce business clients
– Mass Mailing. We deliver bulk mails running into thousands for organisations and institutes
– Mailroom Management. Clients’ mailrooms are outsourced to us which we handle and oversee while they focus on their core business.
– TRANEX Dedicated Motorcycle Service (TDMS) is another service we offer to clients, outsourcing our motorcycle services to them.
Other services are also offered based on the client’s special needs and the service is tailored to meet that need.
What service are you most excited about?
I am passionate about all our services as all of them meet the needs of each different client.
However, the cold chain service is one that is quite exciting as it requires specific expertise, handling and certifications. This has made it a service that is not an all comers affair. We see ourselves becoming the place to go to for this service in the very near future as we invest in continuously developing this area of our business.
What are the major challenges facing Tranex?
TRANEX is continuously improving its service delivery and never rests on its oars in that regard. The challenges we experience are the usual ones experienced by most industry players especially the registered players who comply with laid down laws and regulations of the industry.
These challenges include:
– Multiple taxation
– Insecurity and its numerous fall outs for the industry
– Dilapidated infrastructure
– The down turn in the economy which impact clients and cascades down to their service providers
– Absence of requisite regulatory body like the National Communications Commission for telecommunications companies. We are currently being regulated by a competitor.
– The system of e-commerce business being operated in Nigeria which is different from the way it is operated in other climes Most e-commerce businesses are based on ‘Cash on Delivery’ as opposed to the standard practice of ‘Pre Paid’. This poses a lot of risk to the courier companies.
What stands Tranex out from other logisitcs companies?
TRANEX offers tailor-made or personalised service. We are not a one-size-fits-all service company.
TRANEX is customer centric and exist to give the logistics fillip to push our clients ahead of their competitors.
– TRANEX is an ethical company, playing by the rules. TRANEX has successfully passed through investigations of notable compliance and due diligence bodies. We are transparent in our dealings and have a Board of Directors made up of respected and experienced business persons.
– TRANEX is socially responsible, giving back to the society we operate in.
– TRANEX has all the relevant insurance policies in place to protect clients’ shipments. This include a GIT policy, professional indemnity, Fidelity guarantee etc.
– Technologically up to date. We have trackers fixed on all operations vehicles and a tracking platform where shipments can be tracked from pickup to delivery.
– Our recruitment policy includes background checks, guarantors personally interviewed to ensure that credible hands are recruited at all times.
– Our people are some of the industry’s best well motivated and trained.
– We have a branch network second to non in the industry. We have branches in each state capital and every major city in Nigeria.
How will you rate your performance in the last five year?
TRANEX was not immune to the economic downturn which impacted organisations in the country in the past few years since we all operate in the same terrain. This may have impacted the company’s revenue, but our services have remained top-notch as we strive to go the extra mile in spite of security and infrastructural challenges experienced on the highways, flight delays cancellations and series of changes of policies at the nation’s sea ports/airport. Our strategy is to continue to explore ways of improving on our service delivery.
Where do you see Tranex in the next five years?
In the next five years, TRANEX will be in a position to compete favourably with the international players in the industry especially in our local terrain as we consolidate on our flagship products and invest on the necessary resources to grow our businesses
What books do you read?
I read books that will enhance my spiritual and professional well-being. I love reading and meditating on my Bible like every Christian should. I read Christian books, motivational books. I also love reading fiction especially legal fiction. My favourite author in that regard is John Grisham I think I have read all his novels.
Where do you spend your vacation?
Away from the office whether within or out of the country as long as it is a place I can relax, reflect and refresh.
Thank you for your time Ma,
You are welcome.